- Canned tuna, drained
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon water, or use liquid from the tuna can if reserved
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives, green onions or shallots
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or Tabasco, or Chinese hot sauce
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, for frying the patties
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted with olive oil, for frying patties
Drain the tuna. Drain the liquid from the can. If using water-packed tuna, reserve about 1 teaspoon tuna water and 1 teaspoon olive oil to it, to add to the tuna in the next step of prep.
Mix the tuna with the mustard, bread crumbs, lemon zest, lemon juice, water, parsley, and chive or green onions. Taste to adjust seasoning if needed BEFORE adding the beaten egg. Mix well.
Form the mixture into patties. Measure out desired amount, form into a ball with clean hands (or use gloves), then flatten into a patty. Placed onto a wax paper or parchment lined tray, and CHILL for one hour. Chilling will help the patties stay together when you cook them.
Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet to medium high temp. Gently place the patties in the pan, and cook until nicely browned, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
Optional: Garnish with lemon aioli or tartar sauce.