- 1 large onion cut into ½” cubes
- 1 garlic bulb, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Chicken breasts, skinless and boneless, cut into ½” cubes*
- 2 cans chicken broth plus 2 cans water
- 6 medium red or white potatoes. Cleaned and cut into ½” cubes
- 1 large carrot, cut into ½’ cubes
- 2 roasted green chiles, cut into ½” slices
- ½ cup canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon red powder chili
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼” cup fresh cilantro leaves
Heat oil in a heavy soup pot and sauté the onions, garlic and cubed chicken until onions are transparent. Add the broth and water. Scrape the chicken particles from the bottom of the pot. Add the remaining ingredients, including optional seasonings, if using. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours until the meat is tender. While cooking, add more broth or water if needed. If desired, thicken the stew by whisking together 1 or 2 tablespoons flour with ½ cup of the broth, then stirring it back in the stew. Serve with flour tortillas or sourdough bread.
*Feel free to substitute with boneless pork chops, beef or lamb.